Models were built in trueSpace, textured in Photoshop, and the scenery was created in VUE. Heavy, heavy, heavy post work on this one. I tried a number of new techniques for a different look.
Some minor tweaks to the image.
Models and image © Liz Gibbs
All things BattleTech © Topps
Hey! I have this book! Somewhere 'round here. Fact this was my first BT book, I saw the cover and had to know what it was all about. Great models, as always, Hana. Lighting does not match up too well, sun should be off to the right side of the frame not the center. Guessing you added the light source on the right so it would bring the Mad Cat to the forefront. It just looks, well, odd, mainly because of where the shadows are. Are you rendering the models and the backgrounds at the same time? Donno much about TrueSpace but is there an 'Ambient' lighting option? I think that would fix all the hard shadowing I'm seeing here. Your texture work has waaay improved over the years. But it still looks too clean, if you remember...I hate clean Mechs. Dirty those suckers up!! Thanks for the callback!
Don't mean to be critical of your work, kiddo. Once a project lead always a project lead. *hands Hana a Atlas Plushy* Forgive?
When I got the entire scene rendered in tureSpace, I went to work on it with Photoshop and used some "Movie Effects" tutorials to change the overall scope and feel of the image. I wanted to make it look dark, contrasted, and alien. Unfortunately, this had the effect of 'cleaning' the Madcat and Elemental as the worn edges, paint chips, battle scars, and general wear-and-tear were washed out or blended into the paint job.
I've learned a lot since then, but I think it is still one of my better productions. is there a lot that can be improved upon? Oh yes, definitely. But it's just a stage in my evolving style and increasing skills.
I don't mind critical. Critical is good!
That aside, an excellent and faithful take on the original image. Awesome work.
My Elemental is just over 2 meters tall with the TWolf being about 11m tall. Unfortunately, without a good sense of scale between the two models and a lack of depth of field (because blur hides detail), it's difficult to gauge proper sizes. If I did it like the original, my Elemental would be almost twice its size! LOL
I thought about adding the other 4 armored warriors near the feet of the TWolf to get a better sense of scale. I even thought about adding my DWolf somewhere in the background. But in the end, I went with the simplistic representation that was the original cover art.
Anyway, thanks for commenting! I'm glad that my image is appreciated. It's part of what gives me the motivation to continue doing stuff like this.
And then after all of that, I had to mod the Madcat to cut down the polygon count since it was over a million tris. For example, each missile (30 total) were over 3,100 polygons. I rebuilt one to around 329 tris and replaced the set. The arm pods were close to 200k each due to the detail I put into the weapons. So I had to cut out a lot of detail that wouldn't have been visible.
So yeah, a lot of work and time spent to get to this point!
I've thought about building more. But I'd most likely stick with the initial 3050 designs. As for this image, I'd considered adding the DWolf to the background and arranging another 4 Elementals on the ground. But I figured I'd just stick with simple and feature just these two.